Chopin Competition 2021 (From a novice's standpoint)

First of all, I am DEVASTATED that the competition is over. For the past month, I've been working with hours and hours of Chopin's music from the competition playing in the background. I followed the competition since the preliminary round and I remember being so bummed that I had to wait for October. But October came by so fast I didn't even feel like I waited that long tbh.  

DISCLAIMER: I know that the title says Chopin Competition 2021 like it's a legit post or something so I had to add the novice thing. If you expect a critical assessment of the competitors' performances here I gotta say I'm not smart enough for that so you probably won't find it here. But if you just want to geek over the beautiful musical moments, the awkward Chopin Talks, and all the fun parts, you've (probably) come to the right place.

Indonesia and Poland have a 5 hour time difference (with the daylight saving) so I could almost never watch the evening sessions live. I could sometimes catch a few performances but would always have to see the rest on the following day. Not that I was complaining since the music was such great company on tedious workdays. I think among the other competitors, Avery Gagliano stood out the most during the first round for me. What amazing control she has! She has that traditional Chopin sound on her that instantly became everyone's favorites. Another disclaimer I'm not a pro and this is just my amateur opinion, but I felt like she was kind of holding back on the second round? It was so unfortunate she didn't pass to the third round and I really hope she comes back in 2025. Even if she doesn't, she has a sparkling future ahead of her! That's for certain!

I also ADORE Yasuko Furumi! Her first and second rounds just straight up left me breathless. I mean, that Nocturne!!!


All right let's get to the second round. I was listening to this one particular evening session but honestly, I can't remember if I was listening to it while I was working like I always did, or live because I was staying up late that night?? Anyway, I was minding my own business but then this one pianist really had me stop in my track. I finally paid attention to the YouTube video that was previously lost in the sea of other open tabs. I looked at him and saw his name and I thought, "ok he's GOOD" and then I continued whatever it was I was doing. But then I heard the Andante Spianato, and I really thought to myself, all right I really gotta pay attention this time. I remember thinking, what a bright and youthful tone he had! It's a bit hard for me to explain because, again, I'm not cut out as a critique. But if I could put it down in words, he has such refreshing sounds that I would expect from a young musician, yet he didn't seem to be rushing and overthinking it like a lot of young musicians sometimes do. On the contrary, regardless of his youthful tone, his playing was extremely mature and thoughtful. Then came the Polonaise... And my mind was just full-on blown away. At that moment, I became a fan and have never looked back since.


Yes, it's JJ Bui. I feel like I've said and done everything I could to explain how much I absolutely adore his playing so I should probably just shut up now (but I can't). Like at this stage of the competition everyone was obviously good at what they're doing and they are good and I admire each and every one of them. But I just can't remember the last time a pianist's interpretation resonates so well with... my soul...? The feeling came close to when I heard Jan Lisiecki's Andante Spianato and Polonaise for the first time. It was like falling in love with life itself. Anyway! JJ was the last one to play that night and I felt like the audience felt it too? Well, judging from their applause and shouts of bravo, anyway. He really closed with a bang.

And so we carry on to the third round. The third round was really a blur to me cause I feel like everything happened so fast and everyone played so well. But special mention to Jan Lisiecki because he came as a guest for the Chopin Talk (wait or was it the second round? I really don't remember). And no, this isn't the awkward Chopin Talk I was talking about earlier. I quite enjoyed this conversation.


Let's just skip to the final round. In the earlier session, my favorite was...


Kyohei Sorita. His playing was just absolutely magical. Have you ever watched anime where the characters play the piano and bursts of colors and sparkles fly out of the keys? It was exactly like that during Sorita's performance, I'm not even kidding.

Everyone else was fabulous too, truly, I wish I could mention them all one by one (which I might at the end of this post), but of course this guy just had to close the final round.


As I quote from @Mythun_ on Twitter, "Sorita’s concerto was magical, but Bruce was just so consistent." and I agree with him on a spiritual level. Some contestants were shy during the first movements and only came out of their shells during the last, and some went out full of energy but then faltered here and there. Honestly, who could blame them? Imagine playing the piano for 40 minutes?? With no rest?? I could never. But Bruce, the man was just so steady. It really was the word that came straight into my mind when I heard him play, aside from the fact that his concerto truly was stunning and a guaranteed win (I mean, come on. It was pretty obvious at the time, right?) He really deserved that standing ovation.

All right so a quick story about what happened the same night of the last final round and the prize winner announcement. That night I had to take my mom to the ER due to some medical emergency (don't worry she's fine now and it was something minor!) at 3 in the morning. And while I was waiting alone I remembered about the time difference and realized that they must still be streaming the evening session, perhaps the announcement already! But when I joined they were still doing the last Chopin Talk with the finalists. Yes, this was the awkward Chopin Talk I was talking about lol. BUT despite the awkwardness, they really made me smile and laugh and kept me company until my mom got discharged. Once we got home I couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to just wait for the announcement (my mom even joined for a bi before finally passing out). I think the results came out around 6 or 7 am? I lost track of time since I was just so... sleep-deprived, but I was happy with the results! Especially for JJ for getting the 6th prize, even though it means he won't come back to the stage in 2025 as a contestant. But this surely won't be the last of him as a brilliant young pianist!


I still don't get why they practically announced the whole thing in Polish? They always asked us to speak in English and only use alphabets when commenting in the live chat, but...they didn't...even use it for the most important part of the competition??? I mean it was confusing, but I'll have to admit that it also what made it interesting and, maybe even unforgettable? Like I would imagine if I'd won third prize but didn't have a single clue because I didn't speak Polish, I'd have a long, long laugh about it afterward.

Ok so this concludes the post. I hope if you made it this far you're not too disappointed with all my yapping above. I really wish I understood more musical theories so I could write better, maybe someday. I hope you also enjoyed this year's competition (and this random post)!

P.S. So thankful for Chopin Institute for broadcasting the whole damn competition, even the prize winner's gala concerts!!! Can't wait for 2025!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top