Cri

I just finished watching Koinaka.
Man, was it an emotional ride.
Yes, I cry during movies and dramas, but not that easily. I wonder why I cried a lot during the last episodes of this particular drama?
To be honest, I don't even think that it was that good, but there are certain things that's quite hard for me to explain. I think the best way to say it is that I was moved.
The scenes were cliche, so I don't think they were the reason. I can't help but to think that the reason was the language. No, it's not that the script was poem-like. It was typical. like other dramas. But now that I've understood Japanese a little, something really did change within me.
At times, I watched the drama without looking at the subtitle, because sometimes the subtitle isn't that accurate, and that I myself could understand it better in my head without any translation. I think I just started realizing that I could finally understand a whole new language and was moved by anything that was said that I could understand.
The funny part was when the heroine merely said, "Ashita mo- (Even tomorrow-)" and I burst into tears. Seriously, though, I don't regret learning Japanese. Each language that I understand, Indonesian, English, and Japanese, they all have different atmospheres and that's what made them all interesting to me. It's interesting how different the feeling can be when you say "Aku sayang kamu" in Indonesian and "Omae no koto, suki" (< this is very informal by the way) in Japanese, while they both can mean "I love you" in English.
I have a quote by Nelson Mandela. I heard it from a Polyglot, Tim (I can't remember his last name). He said, "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes into his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes into his heart." I don't 100% agree to it since sometimes I do feel something toward a certain expression in English or Japanese even more than when it is said in Indonesian, but it's true that there are certain things you could only express or express better through a certain language, something that doesn't only go to someone's head, but also to that person's heart. And I have to agree, sometimes it's better expressed through that person's native language.
(Oh, I remember now. The polyglot's name is Tim Doner (I think)!)
Well, this little thing is what's keeping me motivated to keep studying. Sometimes all these Kanjis and new words are driving me nuts, but I want to understand other people better through their language. I want to know what they're really thinking and what they're truly feeling, because I want to build strong bridges across nations so that people don't misunderstand each other too much, and new unthinkable possibilities may open up. Who knows?

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top